Chlorella the king of superfoods is a green algae found in salt water. It derives its name from chlorophyll due to its rich green colour. The nutrient content of chlorella is so potent that even NASA has been running researches on chlorella and considering it as a sustainable source of nutrition and oxygen production. With the trend shifting towards consuming healthy and superfoods over processed foods the importance of chlorella further increases. As per various researches, chlorella can influence blood pressure, blood sugar levels and body mass index, it can help clean your liver, blood and digestive system. It has an incredible nutrient profile with high levels of antioxidants, lutein and beta-carotene, enzymes, amino acids, proteins, minerals, fibre and vitamins C and E.
Following are a few benefits of chlorella:
- Nutrient Dense: There is a reason why chlorella is named as the king of superfoods, it is rich in Vitamin A, B, E and other minerals, the nutrients present in it is of high bioavailability and it is one of the two richest sources of vitamin B12 and zinc also it contains omega 3, calcium, magnesium, iron and essential amino acids.
- Aids metabolism: It helps in boosting metabolism, improving circulation and regulating hormones and as per a study chlorella intake can even help reducing body fat percentage.
- Detoxification: Since chlorella is so rich in antioxidants and chlorophyll, it works as an excellent detoxifier, it is known to eliminate harmful chemicals like lead and mercury from the body.
- Boosts immunity: Since it is an excellent source of zinc it increases the production of a type of white blood cell; natural killer cells. In a Japanese study, it was found that just by consuming 2 gms chlorella per day the incidence of common cold decreased by 41%.
- Lowers cholesterol: It contains lutein/ zeaxanthin which helps in regulating the markers of lipid profile particularly triglycerides.
- Improves blood pressure: Chlorella boosts the levels of nitric oxide in the body that helps to clear the arteries, therefore a better blood flow and a regulated blood pressure.
- Improved lung capacity: It helps to improve the aerobic capacity of the lungs due to the presence of high potency chlorophyll, making it especially beneficial for athletes.
- Protects cells against radiation: One of the most impressive properties on chlorella is that it protects the cells from gamma radiation damage and has proven to be beneficial in reducing the side effects of chemotherapy due to the presence of chlorophyllin.
- Improves gut health: It is an excellent prebiotic that means it helps promote the growth of probiotics in the digestive system that helps reduce digestive issues.
A dosage of 2-3 gms works safely for most people. It has an earthy flavour and is usually available in the form of tablets and powder. The powder can be mixed in smoothies, coconut water or just water. While considering the quality it is recommended to consume organic chlorella which has its cell wall broken by a gentle method as the cell wall of chlorella can be a bit hard for the digestive system to break down and digest.
Common Side Effects:
Some of the common side effects are gas, flatulence, diarrhoea, nausea, green stools and stomach cramps also chlorella can make the skin extra sensitive towards sunlight.
But who shouldn’t be consuming chlorella?
- Pregnant and breastfeeding females
- People who are allergic to moulds
- People who have an iodine sensitivity
- People with a weak immune system
- People suffering from autoimmune disorders
“So add a small amount of this superfood in your daily diet and watch your health shine”