The liver plays a very crucial role in keeping us healthy. It is like a factory that receives, filters, restores and transports the substances for the body’s use. It is a vital organ for maintaining proper digestive functions.
The liver detoxifies the harmful toxins in 2 ways:
- Detoxification occurs by breaking down toxic substances into a water-soluble product for easy elimination. The liver should work efficiently as the free radicals in the toxins, can cause damage to liver cells.
- When exposed to high fat and carbohydrate food, alcohol, smoking and environmental chemicals like pesticides, preservatives), the liver becomes sluggish and slow and delays its function resulting in a high toxin build-up in the body. The liver needs constant detoxification and inclusion of antioxidants in the diet to stay healthy.
One can follow these to keep the liver healthy:
- Maintain ideal body weight: In order to avoid fatty liver or other illnesses related to it especially NAFLD (Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease) which can lead to cirrhosis, it is important to maintain ideal body weight. Obesity or increased body fat increases the chances of developing cardiovascular diseases, hypertension and diabetes. An increase in adipose tissue directly leads to insulin resistance which results in NAFLD.
- Get Vaccinated: Hepatitis virus is considered to be very dangerous for the liver. Hepatitis A and B affect it to such an extent that it fails to neutralize toxins which makes it prone to other infections and diseases. One should consult a doctor for proper vaccination to protect the liver from any kind of damage.
- Practice hygiene: For a healthy liver one should practice a few simple things like washing hands with good soap and lukewarm water especially before preparing food and having food. Contact a doctor or medical care unit on an urgent basis if you are exposed to someone’s blood. Avoid contaminated needles. Do not share your personal stuff with anyone.
- Eat Healthy: Avoid processed, deep-fried, canned, frozen, refined flour, sugars and outside food for maintaining good liver functioning. Include whole grains like oats, quinoa, whole wheat, oatmeal, buckwheat in your diet along with good fiber from vegetables and fruits. Include good fats from nuts and seeds.
- Detox yourself: It is very important to detoxify the liver either every week or includes some herbs on a daily basis which are able to flush off all the toxins from the body. Few detox waters are Apple-Cinnamon, Mint-Cucumber-Lemon, Strawberry-Kiwi, Chia seeds water, etc. There are some powerful ayurvedic herbs that are very helpful in maintaining good health. Milk thistle, turmeric, apple cider vinegar, garlic and fennel are great and can be included in the routine easily.
Apart from these, one can introduce herbal/ green tea in their daily routine to cleanse the liver.