Ingredients for Healthy Whole Wheat Pita Bread
- 4 cups whole wheat flour (or 2 cups whole wheat flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 400 ml warm water(120-130F degrees)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 500°F.
2. Sift together 2 cups of flour and the yeast.
3. Add water and salt and mix well.
4. Gradually add in the remaining flour just until the dough begins to clean the sides of the bowl. Once this happens, stop adding flour (so, you might not use all the flour the recipe calls for.).
5. Knead the dough for about 4 or 5 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. (While you’re kneading, you can get creative and add in some herbs or spices, but only if you want to do that). Be careful not to over-knead the dough.
6. Form dough into 10 balls.
7. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a 5-6 inch circle, about 1/4 inch thick. (Be sure to sprinkle a little flour on both sides to prevent sticking).
8. Place on a non-stick baking sheet and allow to rise 30 minutes, or until slightly raised.
9. Just before you place the pan in the oven, flip each pita over on its other side.
10. Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 5 minutes. (The instant hot heat will help them puff up).
11. When the pitas come out of the oven they will be hard, but they will soften as the cool.
12. Store them, while they’re still warm, in plastic baggies or an airtight container.
13. Cut the pitas in half crosswise and stuff with your favourite fillings (beans and rice, taco fixings, thick stews, curries – anything goes).
14. Pita bread can be reheated in a 350°F oven or in the microwave.