Tired of trying all kinds of diets for weight loss? Or Are you struggling with weight gain problems? Or Are you not sure what to have and what not to have as per your medical condition?
The only solution to this is to seek help from a trained dietitian. But before joining any expert, you must keep the following points in mind:
- Personality Match: Seek a dietitian or nutrition plan that fits you well. The counsellor should match your personality type. If you are one of them who needs constant monitoring and counselling, then look in for a dietitian who is strict enough to motivate you.
- Credentials are Important: It is important to know about the educational background and credentials of your diet counsellor. Nowadays a lot of people without enough knowledge in the field of health and nutrition claim to be health counsellors and provide counselling which can lead to serious health problems.
- Gym Instructors are not Dietitians: A personal trainer/ gym instructor may advise you to have a particular kind of diet or to include certain health supplements in your diet. But you should not follow them blindly. Let them work in accordance with your dietitian.
- Special Needs: In today’s time due to excessive stress and lifestyle issues, people are more prone towards lifestyle disorders like diabetes, heart disease and weight problems. Your dietitian must be trained enough to help you in these parameters. He/she should also be able to plan diets in case of special needs like pregnancy, lactation, growing needs, etc.
- Experience Counts: A dietitian who has years of expertise will be able to strategize your diet and counsel you better than the one with less/no experience. Moreover following a nutritional plan requires behavioural counselling as well, therefore, a well-experienced dietitian will be able to help you out in a better way.
We hope this will provide you with an insight and will act as a guideline in your search for a personal dietitian or nutritional plan.