Milk is the most essential food group which has to be included in the diet. Milk plays a vital role in everybody’s diet. There are lots of cultural beliefs also attached to the consumption of milk. Since ancient ages, milk is considered as the most important beverage which should not be wasted at all. According to Ayurveda, milk is uniquely packed with nutrition that cannot be derived from any other type of food. Milk, when digested, provides nutrition to all the tissues, promotes balanced emotions, strength, strong immunity, happiness, and contentment. Therefore, milk is a very important food group which should be included regularly in one’s diet, especially if one follows a vegetarian lifestyle.
When drinking milk some important things should be kept in mind:
- In order to digest milk properly, one should avoid drinking cold milk right out of the refrigerator.
- To reduce the heaviness of the milk, while cooking it, you may add a pinch of ground turmeric, a pinch of ground black pepper, a cinnamon stick, or a few pinches of ginger to reduce any mucus-causing side effect.
- If you have left drinking milk, and now not able to digest it, then one should try drinking a 1/8th cup of milk added with ginger.
Some don’ts with milk according to Ayurveda are as follows:
Milk should not be mixed or drunk with
- Sour Foods like moong sprouts, bread, idlis or any fermented foods, lemon
- Bitter Foods like karela, raw green vegetables, herbal teas
- Salty Foods like green leafy vegetables, salmons, preserved food items, olives
- Astringent Foods like pomegranate, raw banana, cranberries, alfalfa sprouts, okra, grapes
- Pungent Foods like garlic, onion, hot peppers, mustard
When combined with incompatible tastes, milk becomes indigestible and causes the build-up of harmful toxins in the body.
When to Drink Milk?
However, warm milk is best consumed with sweet foods like rice, cream of wheat, dates, mangos, and almonds. Do you know to consume warm milk, it is best to wait at least one hour after you have eaten a meal.
A glass of milk a day with some precautions makes your day!