A healthy diet is very important as it helps in maintaining the healthy normal weight as well as helps in avoiding the frequent breakouts. Beating breakouts aren’t just about what we apply to our skin but also how well we nourish it. Acne improve if you make some simple changes to your daily diet routine.
According to Ayurveda skin breakouts happen due to the imbalance of the three doshas — Vata, Pitta and Kapha. However, the main cause is the aggravation of the Pitta dosha, which symbolizes heat or fire in the body. When Pitta dosha is aggravated it causes accumulation of heating toxins in the body which appears on the skin in the form of pimples and acne. This can be effectively treated by having a balanced diet, a good lifestyle and some specialized herbal combinations that can tackle the disease from its root cause.
To avoid the frequent breakouts in your skin keep in mind the given points:
- Low energy dense foods: Eat less high energy dense foods like fried foods, sweets, high-fat salad dressings, egg yolk, packaged snacks etc. which increases body weight. Eat low energy dense foods like fruits and vegetables which contain only a few calories so anyone can eat a large volume of it and it also maintains healthy body weight. It will reduce the risk of obesity.
- Low glycemic foods: High glycemic foods like processed cereals, white rice, potatoes, chips etc. trigger the insulin levels in the body which raise the blood glucose levels. Consume low glycemic foods like whole grains, brown rice, sweet potatoes, green vegetables and fruits.
- Fast foods: Avoid greasy fast foods as it will create inflammation in body and inflammation leads to pimples or acne on the face. Avoid taking fast foods in an excess amount. Always opt for unrefined products which are good for health.
- Green tea: It provides antioxidants and protects from environmental stressors instead of normal tea which creates acidity and heartburn sometimes. Green tea also removes toxins from the body.
- Fruits and vegetables: Eat more fruits, it is full of nutrients which reduce the acne instead of juicing as it contains only sugars. Dark green leafy vegetables are good for skin as it clears all the impurities from the body. Packaged fruits should be avoided that are high in sodium and sugars.
- Probiotics: it is healthy for the gut as it reduces the inflammation in the gut. So consume foods that contain probiotics like yoghurt, dark chocolate, probiotic drink etc.
- Fats: Choose healthy fats like omega 3 fatty acids are good for health as well as for healthy heart it is found in fish, flax seeds, walnuts, olive oil which add calories in the diet. Eat less trans fats and saturated fats like deep-fried foods, snacks etc.
- Fibre: A study in the American Journal of Nutrition suggests people who eat whole wheat foods like oatmeal, barley, whole grains, wheat cereals, nuts, beans, etc have fewer breakouts. So focus on soluble and insoluble fibres both, as it not only keeps your skin supple but also helps in reducing body weight and removes toxins from the body.
- Rekindle home cooking: Use only heart-healthy cooking methods like boiling, baking, steaming, broiling, roasting, grilling or poaching with little olive oil. Use spices instead of more salt and sodium broth should be avoided.
- Control portion size: Always control the portion size of meals when eating out or at home. Always understand the serving sizes even at the restaurant. Fill the extra servings of fruits and vegetables always whenever needed.
- Avoid spicy, oily and sour foods as they aggravate Pitta and worsen the breakouts.
- Increase the intake of water to around 10-12 glasses per day.
- Prepare a powdered mixture of fennel seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric, basil, and amla (Indian gooseberry) in equal parts. Take ½ tsp of this powder 15 minutes before lunch and dinner. This will help to purify the blood and also pacify the Pitta Dosha.
- Take 1 tsp of coriander juice mixed with a pinch of turmeric powder twice daily for 1 month for visible results.
Tweak your diet and lifestyle a little and experience some amazing benefits of eating the right foods. A balanced diet not only does make you fit and healthy but also keep your skin supple, healthy and beautiful.