Coconut oil can also be termed as a superfood.
In comparison to other fats, coconut oil is high in healthy saturated fats which boost up fat burning and gives instant energy to the body and the brain. It also enhances the HDL cholesterol in the blood, which reduces the risk associated with the heart.
Coconut oil is separated from the meat of mature coconuts from the nut. It has several applications, its oxidization is slow and is thus, resistant to spoilage, lasts up to six months at 24 °C (75 °F) without rancidification. The combination of fatty acids present in it can have positive effects on your health which consists of various benefits like the better development of the brain, weight loss (if taken in recommended amount), healthy skin etc.
About 84% of its calories are derived from saturated fat. That is why coconut oil solidifies without spoilage at room temperature, but because of high levels of saturated fat, the World Health Organization, the United States Department of Health and Human Services, United States Food and Drug Administration, American Heart Association, American Dietetic Association, British National Health Service, British Nutrition Foundation, and Dietitians of Canada suggest that the consumption of it should be limited.
Few Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil include:
- Coconut Oil Contains Fatty Acids : Most fats are called long-chain triglycerides, but coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), which means that they are directly absorbed by the liver and provide quick energy and get converted to ketones. Ketones can have great benefits for the brain and are being studied as a treatment for epilepsy, Alzheimer’s.
- Eating Coconut Oil Makes You Healthy : Coconut is an exotic food worldwide. However, in some parts of the world, coconut is a staple food that people are taking for many generations. People living in south pacific are the best example for that. They are taking 60% of their calories from coconuts. Studies revealed that they have excellent health, lowest heart disease rate.
- It Can Accelerate Fat Burning : Obesity is one of the biggest health problems in the world. While few think obesity and calorie go hands in hands, others think that the source of the calorie is also important. MCTs in coconut oil can increase the amount of calories you burn compared to the same amount of calories from long chain fatty acids. According to studies 15-30 grams of MCTs per day increased 24-hour energy expenditure by 5%, totalling about 120 calories per day.
- Can Help in Reducing Seizures : The MCTs in coconut oil can enhance the blood concentration of ketone bodies, which can ultimately reduce seizures in epileptic children. Researchers have found that ketones can provide an alternative source of energy for poor brain cells and reduce Alzheimer’s system.
- Raises the Good HDL Cholesterol : Coconut oil increases the good HDL cholesterol in your body. They may also help in removing the bad LDL cholesterol into a harmless form.
Coconut oil is around 90% saturated fat, which is a high amount. Too much saturated fat in the diet is unhealthy because it raises “bad” LDL cholesterol levels, which increase the risk of heart disease. Consuming 2 tablespoons of coconut oil per day is sufficient to achieve health benefits, but it’s best to work up to this amount gradually.
So have a share of it because coconut oil is a glue that holds this body together.