Mexican Chicken Quinoa Casserole
Mexican Chicken Quinoa Casserole is high in soluble fibre & helps lower blood cholesterol level. It contains essential vitamins & minerals for maintaining a healthy body and is rich in protein.
Cooking Time: 55 Minutes
Serving Size: 6-8
Calories(Per Serving): 280 kCal
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large casserole dish (9×13 inch or similar) with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Place 2 cups water and quinoa in a large saucepan, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, deep sauté pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Add the onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper. Add the chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Continue to sauté until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the garlic and drained tomatoes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the black beans, reserved quinoa, Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly in the pan. Top with remaining cheddar and mozzarella. Bake, uncovered until the cheese is melted and the casserole is hot for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil, then continue cooking until the cheese is lightly browned, watching carefully so that the cheese does not burn.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes, sprinkle with chopped cilantro, and serve.
Post a comment