Ingredients for Dhokla
- 1 cup besan (Bengal gram flour)
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup curd (dahi)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 pinches of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (Haldi)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- oil for greasing
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (til)
For The Garnish
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- Combine the besan, cabbage, curds, chilli powder, a pinch of asafoetida, coriander-cumin seeds powder, turmeric powder and salt with approx. ½ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix very well to form a batter of dropping consistency.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt to the batter and sprinkle 2 tsp of water over it.
- When the bubbles form, mix gently.
- Pour the batter into a greased 175 mm. (7”) diameter thali and steam in a steamer for 10 minutes. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and another pinch of asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and mix well.
- Pour this tempering over the dhoklas.
- Cut into equal sized square pieces.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Post a comment