- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 400 g garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 3 tablespoons plus ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 large egg
- Olive oil
- 4 warm pita bread, top third cut off
- Sliced tomatoes
- Crisp lettuce leaves
- Whisk yoghurt, ½ cup cilantro, ¼ cup onion, 1 garlic clove, lemon juice, and ¼ teaspoon cayenne in medium bowl to blend. Season it with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Blend garbanzo beans, 3 tablespoons flour, cumin, remaining ½ cup cilantro, 4 garlic cloves, and ¼ teaspoon cayenne in processor until almost smooth.
- Add egg and remaining ¾ cup onion and blend, using on/off turns, until onion is finely chopped.
- Transfer mixture to bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into four ½-inch-thick patties. Turn patties in remaining ½ cup flour to coat on both sides.
- Pour enough oil into heavy large skillet to coat bottom; heat over medium-high heat.
- Add patties and cook until crisp and golden, about 8 minutes per side.
- Open pita bread; slide 1 patty, sliced tomato, and lettuce into each.
- Spoon in some yoghurt mixture and serve.
Post a comment