Is It Possible To Manage Hypothyroidism With Lifestyle Changes
The thyroid is a gland that secretes thyroid hormones. These hormones affect an individual’s body temperature, metabolism, and growth. To manage hypothyroidism, you need an appropriate dosage of synthetic thyroid hormone to replace what the body isn’t making on its own. Hypothyroidism is a health problem that affects 1-2% of people worldwide. Making lifestyle changes is important from focusing on a healthy diet, regular exercise, stress management, and more.
- Diet: People with hypothyroidism should include gluten-free grains and seeds, eggs, fish, most fruits and vegetables, all dairy products, and non-caffeinated beverages and avoid High fat and processed foods. Foods that contain certain nutrients such as iodine, selenium, and zinc can help maintain proper thyroid function. Food containing goitrogens and soy interfere with normal thyroid function, so limiting these can improve symptoms. Start your Personalized Diet Plan to manage your Hypothyroidism.
- Exercise: Hypothyroidism, or having an underactive thyroid, can cause symptoms like fatigue, joint pain, and depression. It also reduces overall metabolism, making it more prone to weight gain. . Exercise is another lifestyle change that can make a difference in the way you feel. When you have hypothyroidism, regular exercise like aerobics, biking can help you to lose weight, maintain weight, reduce depression, and joint pain. Choose gentle stretching or gentle yoga, first getting started with an exercise routine especially if you experience joint pain.
- Yoga: One of the added benefits of yoga practice, in addition to flexibility and building strength, are gentle breathing techniques that can calm the mind. Introducing stress management and mindfulness techniques should be there as too much stress can cause receptor cells to resist thyroid hormone and weaken your immune system. People with hypothyroidism can face problems with their physical and mental health. Yoga is a complementary and accessible therapy for thyroid problems that reduces stress and supports well-being. Yoga practice helps to improve levels of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and cholesterol levels. It reduces the need for thyroid replacement therapy in women with hypothyroidism if done regularly and properly.
- Be Mindful: Tai chi or dedicated meditation – Described as “moving meditation,” this slow-motion form of martial arts can help reduce tension or anxiety, which is important when you live with hypothyroidism. Research shows it can help improve mood, balance, and strength.
- Sleep: Getting sleep right will help increase your energy, productivity, and physical and emotional well-being. Limiting caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and big meals at night is beneficial for good sleep. Also, Sleep is important in optimizing thyroid function as it helps to regulate cortisol, the stress hormone. Stress management and regular exercise can improve sleep quality, by avoiding caffeine and a regular sleep schedule.
- Herbs: One can consult an Ayurvedic Doctor to start natural plant herbs to manage thyroid. The prescribed herbs help to manage hormones and metabolism of the body. Lifestyle modifications are equally beneficial just as medicines to improve thyroid function. One should follow these tips to manage thyroid especially if one has a family history of it.