Tulsi, also called Holy Basil, is one of the most royal plants in India and is considered “The Queen of the Herbs” for its restorative and medicinal properties. Basil flowers contain essential oil and tannins. They are also rich in calcium, phosphorus and vitamins A and C. Basil also contains beta-carotene. There are many beneficial effects that you may get by consuming basil leaves, below are some of them:
- Improve digestion and cure many digestive problems: Basil leaves are made into an infusion to aid indigestion and loss of appetite. They are also used for their carminative properties in the treatment of flatulence and bloating. The phytochemicals components present in basil leaves help in fighting against Staphylococcus aureus infection which is the main cause of diarrhoea. According to studies, consumption of basil leaves on a regular basis helps in improving the number of the detoxifying enzyme in the liver. This may help the function of the liver and reduce the fat cell which accumulates in the liver that can cause liver disease.
- Improve lipid profile and prevent cardiovascular digestion: According to a study, basil has a significant effect in reduction of cholesterol level in the body. The phytochemical and antioxidant component in basil leaves prevents the accumulation of cholesterol in the blood vessels by lowering the LDL or Low-density lipoprotein.
- Reduce antibiotic resistance: Our body may develop antibiotic resistance due to misuse of antibiotic. Basil leaves contain anti-bacterial properties which can inhibit pathogenic bacteria growth and decrease the antibiotic resistance.
- Prevent from a cough and cold: Basil leaves’ essential oil has the anti-viral effect which means it can prevent your body from influenza virus infection. Consuming basil leaves can not only get rid of the virus but also reduce the symptom such as cold, cough and running nose.
- Keeping healthy skin: Basil leaves contain Vitamin C and other phytochemicals which are very beneficial for the skin. Consuming basil leaves regularly may improve your skin health by get rid of the free radical effect and keep the moist skin.
- Prevent from cancer: Tulsi helps in increasing the body’s levels of antioxidant molecules and thereby enhances antioxidant enzyme activity in order to provide protection against toxic chemical-induced injury. These enzymes protect cellular organelles and membranes by fighting free radical damage caused by a lack of oxygen and other toxic agents.
Post a comment