Milk thistle is a natural herb which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Initially, it was grown in the Mediterranean region, now it is grown world over. When the leaves of this herb are crushed they release a milky sap, that is why is known as Milk Thistle. Considering its benefits there should be no second thought in calling this herb a superfood. Milk thistle contains silymarin an active compound which is actually a group of compounds that work together to provide health benefits.
Following are some of the benefits of milk thistle:
- Detoxification: Silymarin present in the herb draws out toxins from the body and can prevent from various range of diseases including cancer, high cholesterol, gallbladder stones, kidney stones, alcohol toxins, skin damage and much more.
- Antioxidant: Milk thistle is as potent as Vitamin C and Vitamin E, which helps in preventing free radical damage and preventing aging and many kinds of cancers.
- Liver Detoxification: It helps rebuild liver cells and reverse the alcohol damage, also it helps in clarifying the damage caused by pesticides in food and heavy metals in water. Consumption of milk thistle is a research-proven therapeutic treatment for fatty liver, jaundice, damage caused due to alcohol and other liver diseases.
- Prevents Cancer: Silymarin is a known toxin blocker agent, therefore, it is called a cancer protector. Silymarin contains silybin an antioxidant that stimulates protein synthesis and protects the outside layer of the cell from damage.
- Lowers High Cholesterol: Inflammation is the main cause of heart diseases, milk thistle has very strong anti-inflammatory properties which lowers the inflammation, clarifies the blood and reduce the oxidative stress damage.
- Controls or prevent diabetes: According to the National Institute of Health, if milk thistle is taken with the conventional treatments it can help control the symptoms of diabetes.
- Prevention of gallbladder stones: It supports the gastrointestinal and endocrine system by supporting the production of bile and enzymes along with detoxifying the blood.
- Boosts Skin Health: Silymarin present in milk thistle has the power to inhibit UV- induced oxidative stress which is known to cause major skin damage.
- Anti-aging effect: It reduces the oxidation of free radicals. Free radicals are the main culprit for the signs of aging on the skin.
Milk thistle is available in the form of supplement tablets, powder, and tea.
There is no standardized recommended dosage for milk thistle but as per researches, the recommended dosage as follows:
Normal dosage: 20-300 mg/ day
Detoxification: 150 mg, 1-3 times in a day
Ongoing use and liver support: 50- 150 mg/ day
There is no doubt that we call it “Magnificent Milk Thistle” as it has magnificent health benefits.
Post a comment