Butter vs Margarine, What is Healthier?
Is margarine better than butter?
Butter in a dairy product which contains around 80% of butterfat. It is a completely natural food and is made up of milk. Margarine, on the other hand, is a processed food, created chemically from refined polyunsaturated oils.
The answer is Butter is better than margarine, take a look at the benefits of butter:
- It contains lauric acid, which is important in treating fungal infections.
- It contains lecithin, essential for cholesterol metabolism.
- It contains antioxidants that protect against free radical damage and protects against cancer.
- it contains antioxidants that protect against weakening arteries.
- Is an excellent source of Vitamins E and Vitamin K.
- Is a very rich source of the vital mineral selenium.
- Saturated fats in butter have strong antitumor and anticancer properties.
- Vitamin D found in butter is essential for calcium absorption.
- It is also known to contain compounds which promote fertility in women.
- Cholesterol found in butterfat is essential to children’s brain and nervous system development.
- Contains Arachidonic Acid (AA) which plays a role in brain function and is a vital component of cell membranes.
The difference between butter and margarine?
Both have the same amount of calories, butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams. Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.
Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients as it has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added artificially. Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.
Now for Margarine, very high in trans fatty acids triple risk of Coronary Heart Disease, Increases total and LDL (This is the bad Cholesterol), Lowers HDL cholesterol and this is the good one, Increases the risk of cancers by up to fivefold, lowers quality of breast milk, decreases immune response, and decreases insulin response.
So choose between the two wisely!