Water is one of the basic needs for human life and 70 percent of the human body is made up of water, also our vital organs could not function without it. It is important to continuously replenish our body with water especially during the summer months. When our body loses more water than it takes in then it enters into a state of being dehydrated, which means we don’t have the liquid required to perform normal functions of the body. If one feels tired, irritable or exhausted after being outdoors, dehydration could be the cause.
Following these tips will help you stay hydrated during summers:
1. Drink Before You Feel Thirsty: Your body uses thirst as an indication that you are approaching dehydration. It is healthier to replenish fluids even if you don’t feel thirsty than just drinking to quench your thirst.
2. Go with Water instead of Sugary beverages: Sugary beverage helps quench your thirst but it also adds on to the extra calories. Since you have to keep yourself hydrated in summers drink plenty of fluids and not sugary beverages else you will end up building calories all day.
3. Flavour your Water: Some people have trouble drinking plain water to stay hydrated. Adding a natural flavour of a fruit or vegetable works a great way without adding many calories.
Example: Pineapple Coconut Lime Infused water, Watermelon Kiwi Lime Infused water, Blackberry Orange Ginger Infused water, Honeydew Cucumber Mint, Mango Raspberry Ginger, etc.
4. Power Packed Smoothies: These are better healthy options than sugar beverages to keep you hydrated and energized like Strawberry Banana Smoothie, Peach Mango Banana Smoothie, Pineapple Spinach Smoothie, Mango Carrot Smoothie, Banana Blueberry Soy Smoothie etc. One can even add 1 scoop protein supplements if working out or in sports.
5. Electrolyte Balance: One can make and carry these fluids in sweaty summers to replenish the electrolytes in our body lost as sweat, like Coconut water, Lemonade, Fruits and vegetable juices, Bael juice, Sugarcane Juice, Panna etc.
6. Eat your water: Munch on seasonal fruits as snacks which keeps you hydrated and going. Assorted Fruit salad can include Mango, Watermelon, Muskmelon, Berries, Cucumber, Pineapple Banana, Grapefruit etc. Vegetables like- Broccoli, tomatoes, celery, cauliflower, bell peppers etc can also be used.
7. Dairy Products: Dairy foods help in maintaining hydration of the body like Yogurt, Curd, Buttermilk and Yakult etc which are handy to carry outside and readily available.
8. Avoid Alcohol, Tea, Coffee and High Caffeine Drinks: Cut down on aerated drinks and alcohol as they provide empty calories with no health benefits.
9. Avoid Excess Sodium: Condiments and foods high in sodium will naturally draw water from your body and sometimes even cause water retention. Junk fast foods and other processed foods such as chips, canned soups, processed meat, frozen pizza, canned vegetables etc. should be avoided.
10. Soaked Chia seeds: Chia seeds are hydrating nutrient powerhouses. These tiny seeds are hydrophilic in nature and a good source of omega 3 fatty acids.
Water is the elixir of life. When you go through all the amazing milestones of summer always remember to drink plenty of water and eat a diet rich in hydrating whole fruits and vegetables to keep you going energized in all summers. Your body (and mind) will thank you for that!
Post a comment