As they say, that excess of everything is bad for health, the same is the case with salt. Salt being an essential element of our daily diet, as it adds flavour to the food, can cause serious health benefits such as hypertension, inflammation, obesity and many more if taken in excess. Apart from paying attention to the amount of salt consumed, one should also keep in mind the type of salt being used. Though table salt is the salt of choice for most of us instead many people prefer consuming rock salt. So if you are confused between which one of these is healthy, just read on.
In terms of physical appearance, table salt is white in colour and powdery in texture whereas rock salt is slightly pink in colour and a bit coarse. Table salt undergoes a lot of processing to make it free from impurities but rock salt on the other hand does not undergo this process, as a result, the mineral content of rock salt is comparatively high. However, the iodine content of table salt is higher than that of rock salt, making it a preferred choice in order to prevent goitre (a disease which is caused due to the deficiency of iodine).
Let us go through some of the benefits of these salts to get a better understanding.
- Oral RehydrationTable salt consists of magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium which are important to maintain the electrolyte balance in the body. It is particularly important for those who work out regularly or does some kind of physical activity. The effectiveness of salt in rehydrating the body can be seen in the fact that in the absence of ORS, a blend of water, salt and sugar is recommended to compensate for fluid loss to prevent dehydration.
- Improves Heart HealthIt is a known fact that dietary salt has an impact on the blood pressure of the body which in turn impacts the heart health. In case of high blood pressure it is recommended to cut down the salt intake whereas, in case of low blood pressure, more salt needs to be consumed.
- Prevents DiabetesStudies indicate that decreased insulin sensitivity can be due to low levels of salt in the diet. This leads to poor glucose metabolism and can lead to type 2 diabetes.
- Calms Muscle CrampsMuscle cramps can be due to many reasons. These include alcoholism, medications or exercise. Fluids that are high in electrolytes provide instant relief.
- Improves Digestion Rocksalt helps in improving digestion and relieves stomach ache. It is also beneficial in curing stomach infections as well as deworming.
- Boosts ImmunityIt contains all the vital elements required to improve the immunity and keep illness at bay.
- Treats SinusDissolving rocksalt in water and then inhaling the steam provides relief in sinus related problems. Gargle with rock salt to get relief against cough, sore throat and tonsils.
- Promotes SleepMelatonin is a hormone which is responsible for regulating our sleep. Rocksalt helps in stimulating this hormone and thus, promotes sound sleep.
- Reduces StressAccording to experts, a bath comprising of rock salt in water helps to relax both the body and the mind.
- January 9, 2019
I was more than happy to discover this website. I wanted to thank you for your time just for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and i also have you book marked to check out new information in your site.
- January 29, 2019
This is a very good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere. Simple but very accurate information… Thank you for sharing this one. Amust read article!
- Format NYC
- September 12, 2019
Right here is the perfect website for everyone who really wants to understand this topic. You understand so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin on a subject that's been written about for a long time. Great stuff, just great!
- January 24, 2020
I AM A DIABETIC AND SUFFER WITH HYPERTENSION. 2 MONTHS BACK I SUFFERED A STROKE. I WANT TO KNOW MY DIET PLAN
- fleck 5600sxt 32000
- February 13, 2020
I go to see every day some sites and sites to read posts, but this webpage provides quality based content.
Post a comment